So, you are wanting to make a good impression in the professional world… your choice of clothing goes a long way in making a lasting impression. Don’t rock up to an important event (business or social) in your gym gear – make an effort now and the impression you leave will be unforgettable.
- Don’t wear something if there is a hole, rip or stain on it. It might not matter to you but it’s not the kind of impression you want to leave with someone you have just met.
- Don’t wear oversized clothing – wear what fits usually comes across as more professional looking.
- Wear appropriate shoes. Do not wear your trainers and a business suit – buy smart work shoes. Ensure that these are always polished and have no scratches.
- Don’t wear wrinkled clothing. Don’t be lazy – pull out that iron.
- If you choose to wear a tie to a meeting, ensure that it doesn’t have that morning’s breakfast on it, and is tied properly and not draped loosely around the collar. Also make sure that the design/patter on the tie is appropriate for that particular meeting (i.e. South Park ties might seem humours in the office, but out of place at an out-of-office meeting).
- Always keep a work jacket on hand. Whether you are male or female, having a jacket on hand ensures that you always look professional, powerful and confident.
- Unless you are a fashion designer, or someone in a similar field, keep your jewellery/accessories simple. Save it for the weekend. The simpler the jewellery, the more professional your appearance.