So, you’ve spent as long as you can remember dreaming of walking down the catwalk, wearing the latest trends from the hottest fashion designers, being inundated with invites to events and parties, and becoming the face of a particular cosmetic brand. What you want is to become a model, and not just any, but one of the most well-known fashion models of the century.
Banish any preconceived notions of what you thought the fashion industry and modelling world entails, it’s vastly different to what it appears to the outside world. However, there are a few insightful tips and advice that you can follow which may make your journey into the fashion world that more successful.
- If you’re short, unfortunately there’s not much hope for you. Most models are at least 5’7 in height. Any shorter and we’re afraid you might need a career change.
- Make sure that you have the drive and passion, otherwise one rejection may send you spiralling down into a deep depression.
- Know which type of modelling you want to go into (i.e. catwalk, commercial photo-shoots for glossy magazines, swimsuit modelling etc.) – and do some research.
- You can’t do it alone – get a modelling agency. Make sure to avoid those who ask for moola up front – there are many of these around and unfortunately a lot of potential models get duped this way.
- Make sure that you have photos of yourself on hand to give to these agencies. Try keep them as natural looking as possible (i.e. try keep make up to a minimum), that way the agency can get a clear look at your features.